Nine Videos from “Fast Talk About Food 2012” Lightning Talks
A showcase of innovative food system projects around the Pioneer Valley’s institutions of Higher Education.
Fast Talk About Food 2012 was produced by the PVGrows Higher Education Working Group.
- Keep Farming Northampton (Nola Reinhardt, Faculty, Smith College)
Researching a city’s existing agricultural system to improve farm sustainability and increase links between farms and local consumers.
- Student Farming Enterprise at UMass (Ruth Hazzard, Extension educator, UMass)
Providing hands-on practical experience for vegetable farming and marketing.
- GCC Permaculture Forum (Christopher O’Connell, Undergraduate student, Greenfield Community College)
Reporting on a vibrant local forum to advance plans for a permaculture garden at GCC.
- The Gleaning Project of Rachel’s Table (Jessica Harwood, Staff, Rachel’s Table)
Working with college students to reduce food system waste and provide healthy, local food to those in need.
- Franklin County Farmland Analysis (Evelyn Lane & Laura Elizares, Graduate students, Conway School of Landscape Design)
Envisioning Franklin County’s future food system and how to make it happen.
- The Perfect Apple Pie (Linda Kinney, Faculty, UMass)
Using apple varieties for cooking experiments
- Local Food as a Social Movement (Kendra Dean, Undergraduate student, UMass)
Exploring a unique structure that utilizes the “heritage” narrative to gain membership.
- Farm-to-school with Photovoice collaboration (Krista Harper, Faculty, UMass plus members of the Nuestras Raíces Youth Group)
Teaming up youths with faculty and students to improve food systems in Holyoke.
See last year’s Fast Talk About Food Videos on the PVGrows Video Channel.Fast Talk 2012