Announcing the Lightning Talks Lineup for “Fast Talk About Food” – March 29
A showcase of innovative food system projects around the Pioneer Valley’s institutions of Higher Education.
Fast-paced and fun!
$5-$10 donation (sliding scale)
Date: March 29, 2012
Time: 5:30-8:00 pm
Location: Smith Vocational & Agricultural High School (80 Locust St., Northampton)
5:30-6:00 Simple meal served
6:00-7:00 5-minute presentations
7:00-8:00 Dynamic networking experience
- Keep Farming Northampton (Nola Reinhardt, Faculty, Smith College)
Researching a city’s existing agricultural system to improve farm sustainability and increase links between farms and local consumers.
- Student Farming Enterprise at UMass (Ruth Hazzard, Extension educator, UMass)
Providing hands-on practical experience for vegetable farming and marketing.
- GCC Permaculture Forum (Christopher O’Connell, Undergraduate student, Greenfield Community College)
Reporting on a vibrant local forum to advance plans for a permaculture garden at GCC.
- The Gleaning Project of Rachel’s Table (Jessica Harwood, Staff, Rachel’s Table)
Working with college students to reduce food system waste and provide healthy, local food to those in need.
- Franklin County Farmland Analysis (Evelyn Lane & Laura Elizares, Graduate students, Conway School of Landscape Design)
Envisioning Franklin County’s future food system and how to make it happen.
- The Perfect Apple Pie (Linda Kinney, Faculty, UMass)
Using apple varieties for cooking experiments
- Local Food as a Social Movement (Kendra Dean, Undergraduate student, UMass)
Exploring a unique structure that utilizes the “heritage” narrative to gain membership.
- Farm-to-school with Photovoice collaboration (Krista Harper, Faculty, UMass plus members of the Nuestras Raíces Youth Group)
Teaming up youths with faculty and students to improve food systems in Holyoke.